Building Regulations for Fire

Before starting your roofing project, you should consider whether works will require Building Regulations approval. The qualification and requirements of building regulations vary across England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland so you should check with your local council before starting any works.

If you require Building Regulations approval, one of the most important areas in relation to your roof covering is the protection against the penetration and spread of fire from external sources.

Building Regulations Approved Document B (fire safety), B4 Section 10: Roof coverings stipulates the requirements in England (other areas may differ slightly). Under these Regulations, roofing systems (multiple layers making up the covering, not individual components) must be tested and classified to either National BS 476-3:2004 or European BS EN 13501-5:2005. The table below sets out the boundary distances for various classifications:

National Class

European Class

Minimum distance from any point on the relevant boundary





AA, AB or AC


BA, BB or BC



CA, CB or CC



AD, BD or CD



DA, DB, DC or DD

FROOF (t4)





Where the classification appears the same, the building type and use will impact on which classification you are required to meet.

All testing and classification is done by an independent testing house.

Our RubberTop FR is certified by BBA Certificate 92/2799.

In addition to the BBA certificate, the following build-ups for both our RubberTop and RubberTop FR materials have also been classified in relation to fire to EN 13501-5:2005. 



An 18mm OSB deck and a layer of 1.2 RubberTop fully adhered with Ecobond Adhesive


An 18mm plywood deck, an aluminium foil bitumen backed vapour control layer, 100mm glass tissue faced insulation mechanically fixed, and a layer of 1.2mm RubberTop fully adhered with P150 Adhesive



RubberTop FR:

An 18mm OSB deck and a layer of 1.2 RubberTop fully adhered with Water Based Adhesive